Wednesday, October 3, 2018

My Decorating Hell

Let's talk about decorating for a minute.
My decorating game has gone DOWN hill fast....and I felt the spiral coming for years.
I'm not talking about how my house will never look like Pottery Barn (that's another demon for another day), I'm talking about Seasonal "Spend All Your Money On All The Glittery Skull Pumpkin Fall Harvesty Hay bale shit followed closely by the Christmas explosion" decorating.

My cute innocent decorations started when I had my cute little apartment and a dollar store budget. I bought all the fabulous dollar store stuff...which back then...was decent, and not overwhelming.
Then my budget turned into the Year End Clearance at Target. I'll go ahead and buy these things on Nov 1st and save SO much money. I win. It doesn't really match my dollar store swag, but it'll be fine. Then the Good Lord introduced me to Hobby Lobby...Home Goods...Marshalls...you get the idea.  And I need to add that over time, the seasonal decorating market has EXPLODED...I'm sure you've noticed this too. I wanted it all. I slowly added to my collection, and my ONE orange bin, appropriate for fall of course, turned into 3 bins. To be fair, they are separated by Halloween, Fall, and then the Harvesty shit for the 5 seconds you "decorate" for Thanksgiving before Christmas consumes your soul. (not saying it's a BAD thing, calm down, I love me some Christmas time...)
I'd love to toss it ALL and start fresh with every single thing from Kirkland's. Like EVERY thing. But until I win the lottery, that's not happening.

Then there's always the "when".
When can/should I decorate for fall? In September? Even tough it's 96 outside? How about October 1st, that sounds pretty good. But wait...should I decorate for Halloween, or just Fall, or both? Cuz they don't really match. My fall Dollar Tree fake leaves and more natural look doesn't really go with the glittery light up pumpkins and skulls....not even a little bit. They just don't mix. But I have TWO bins full of Halloween glitter...ah the struggle!

Let's do a little of both. The mantle will be Fall, while the front hall shelf will be more Hallweeny. That sounds good. But what about the bathrooms? I have the black flowers and dark decor...but those fall fake flowers just seem to look so much nicer paired with that cute little pumpkin for the counter....

This year I've taken a deep breath and decided that I'll go with Fall, and add the glitter Halloween party ON or NEAR Halloween, since we usually have a party every year. As stressful as that is, it just makes the most sense. Ok. I can move forward with my life....for now. For less than 2 months.

Then it starts again. My Christmas decor is not different...Dollar store mixed with clearance, mixed with Garage sale treasures (oh Lord help me at Garage sales not buy ALL the decorations...), and family items passed down by grandmas. Nothing matches. It's a HOT Baby Jesus Mess. And it seriously makes my anxiety go through the roof. Why can't my house look like the Holiday section at Hobby Lobby or TJ Maxx? How much will I have to spend for it to be just right in my eyes?

And WAIT...what do we do with ALL the stuff you have to move to make room for the decorations? All the stuff on my mantel....it has to go SOMEwhere! So I move it all around the house to any available space I can find where it doesn't look too out of place. The basement is a good catch all for off season decorations. It'll be summery down there while we enjoy Fall up here. It's the ever rotating fake plant, candle holder, sign, decor party...

I know...it's dumb and trivial and I should be thankful I have fake spider webs and foam pumpkins, and ALL the seasonal crafts from the kids that find their way out as decorations each year...I know.
Other people seem to decorate so seamlessly, like one day they wake up and just convert their fortress into Bronners with the ease and grace of a butterfly. Ya'll know Bronners right? OMG...walk away.

So for now, I will enjoy my Fall haven, even though it doesn't look like a magazine or Pinterest.
I'll be thankful for what I DO have...the hand me downs and handmade creations. And I'll continue to die a little every time I walk by the immaculate decorations at all my favorite stores.


Please enjoy my masterpiece
don't mind the toys...they never leave


No comments:

Post a Comment