Sunday, September 21, 2014

Zucchini Pepper Turkey Casserole

Zucchini Pepper Turkey Casserole
(to make it vegetarian, just leave out the ground turkey! A perfect Veggie casserole!)


I made this a few days ago, and it was SO good, I made it again tonight. I didn't follow any recipe, I kind of made it up as I went along, but it's basically the recipe for Zucchini Casserole, just made my way, and with meat :)

So...
Here's what you need:
*1lb ground Turkey
*1 small can of tomato sauce
*1 large zucchini 
*Peppers: red, green, orange, whatever you prefer
*1 Tomato (I only had a few tiny ones today, but it's ok because I don't like tomatoes anyway)
*mozzarella cheese - as much or as little as you want, but mostly a LOT because it helps hold everything together ;)
*Onion (optional - I don't like onions so I don't add them. IF you do like onions and want to add, I suggest adding to the ground turkey when you cook that, otherwise the casserole takes much longer to cook). 
*Whatever else you want to add!
I only pictured these, because the other pictures are boring and not as pretty
Ready...set...COOK
Brown your ground turkey. Season as you like. I add minced onion so I have a little onion flavor without an actual big giant nasty onion. No offense to onions, I just can't. I also add a little Italian seasoning because, why not.
Once the turkey is cooked, add your can of tomato sauce and let simmer while you head over to that cutting board to slice up those veggies. (I also add a touch of marinara sauce that I had leftover in the fridge, I think the little extra juice was a good touch because I didn't have tomatoes)


Now slice up those veggies!
Zucchini!! Slice 'em thin!

You can cut your peppers however you prefer, slices, rings, or little nugget pieces, it's your casserole, you make it the casserole of your dreams.

Now start your layers in a large casserole dish (11x9)
Veggies down first (but only about half as you need the rest for your top layer)


Don't forget to save some for your top layer!
Now sprinkle this first layer with some cheese.
about that much, but more if you'd prefer
Next Up, the meat. Pour the meat evenly over the veggies. All of it.

Now for the rest of the veggies, load 'em up!

In retrospect, it's easier to add the zucchini as the top most layer, over the peppers, the cheese sits better, FYI
Now...
CHEESE


Then pop that bad boy in the oven for about 40-45 minutes at 350 degrees.

And then...

Enjoy!!
It's a cheesy vegetable explosion in your mouth
If you do make it vegetarian, make sure you add those tomatoes, as that's where most of the juicy goodness comes from. With my version, the tomato sauce in the meat is just the right amount of juiciness. 

It's really good, if you ask me. And mostly healthy too! Hope you enjoy! 

*emilyk8



No comments:

Post a Comment